500 OOPS: cap_set_proc, vsftpd...

Fawad Nazir fawad.nazir at gmail.com
Thu May 11 01:28:20 UTC 2006

Hi All,

I am using Ubuntu 5.10, i just compiled it with the new kernel
Linux-2.6.16.5 everything works file for me.
When i tried to open up ftp session from a remote machine it gave me
this error.

331 Please specify the password.
Password:
230 Login successful.
500 OOPS: cap_set_proc
Login failed.
ftp>

I looked on net for this error, it appears to be a firewall issue. The
following thread looks to me the most relavent, but i could not get
from it, that how to solve this problem.

This thread sujjected to check:

$ grep CAPAB /boot/config-2.6.11.10-p4-4g
CONFIG_SECURITY_CAPABILITIES=m

and says In other words, kernel capability support wasn't enabled, and vsftpd
requires it.

In my case also the output is the same. Can any please tell me how to
solve this problem now?

I will be thankful.

Regards,
--