eWallet

email.listen at googlemail.com email.listen at googlemail.com
Wed May 10 22:00:59 UTC 2006

Am Wed, 10. May 2006 06:03 schrieb OOzy Pal:
> > Ahem, what above is the pin?
> > Are we talking about a Personal Information Number or what stands PIN for
> > to your definition? And to wich interface (software or hardware) will it
> > be checked in and how?
> >
> > We are talking about automatic password management, don't we?
> >
> > Your example above seems to be only a set of data which is private and
> > will be used for interactive checkin by a user, e.g. by typing it into a
> > standalone apparatus. Which is more a scenario for revelation and the use
> > of a gpg-card or a encrypted file which helds the data.
> >
> > May be it is an idea if you describe what kind of workflow you are
> > talking about so that we will be able to find a perfect sollution.
> >
> > regards,
> > thomas
>
> The PIN here is the File # but there is no automatic login for it. I
> think I am confusing you. What I want is a wallet that will hold my
> items that I need to remember such as my password, record#, bank
> account and pin, etc. Some of my data might have automatic login such
> as my bank info and some don't such as the example I mentioned eariler
> (medical records).
>
> I have few q's about kwallet:
>
> 1. When I open kwallet, it appear two red folders: Form Data and
> Password. Below there is a tree "Folder Entry" that has: My Binary
> Data, Map, Passwords and Unknown, right?? Can some explain to me what
> are those for?
>
> 2. Is there a good tutorial that I can read as the help that comes
> with kwallet is minimum.

As Derek wrote in his mail, 'Either it records them automatically when you're
using wallet-aware KDE apps, like Konqueror, or I open up the wallet, choose
a key of my own devising, and enter name/value pairs as necessary.'

So kwalletmanager doesn't fit your needs I would say.

revelations stucks some limitations which don't cope your workflow. E.g. it
doesn't allow to define categories other that those predefined. So you
med-card data can't be stord in revelation.

I had a closer look to other tools and found zsafe wich seems to have what you
are looking for. The only limitation of zsave is not alowing more than 6 data
fields per entry.

zsafe
 ZSafe is a password manager.  Passwords can be stored into user defined
 categories. The password file will be encrypted by using a secure RC2
 mechanism.

 ZSafe makes a fine standalone application with features such as import
 and export, encrypted storage, etc.

 But one of the added benefits is that it is built from the same source
 code as the ZSafe program for the Sharp Zaurus line of PDAs.  Thus,
 you can use the same program and work with the same files on your
 desktop as you can on your PDA.  This program uses the same on-disk
 format as the Zaurus version.

Give it a try, IMO it has most of what you are looking for.
:-)

regards,
thomas