Ubuntu security hole? (not super major, but wondering if it is an issue to report)

Dick Davies rasputnik at gmail.com
Wed May 10 08:54:43 UTC 2006

On 10/05/06, Mario Vukelic <mario.vukelic at dantian.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-05-09 at 23:02 +0100, Dick Davies wrote:
> > I've been using reiser3 on my laptop for over a year and I don't
> > see any background disk IO).
>
> http://www.namesys.com/faq.html#sync-atime

All I can report is what I'm seeing - my disk activity leds are
blank usually, my gnome-monitor doesn't show any regular spikes
when the system is idle, etc)
and I haven't done anything to disable atime on my disks:

   planb:~ $ mount|grep 'root'
   /dev/mapper/ubuntu-root on / type reiserfs (rw)
   planb:~ $ which sync
   /bin/sync

YMMV, of course - but I wouldn't want anyone to think reiserfs is a
problem on all laptops.

Don't really understand why that should be specific to reiser?
Did you try mounting with 'noatime' option to
see if that's definitely what it was?

http://number9.hellooperator.net/