Packages ! get the current ones???

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Tue May 9 17:24:52 UTC 2006

Richard wrote:

> After downloading and researching many packages, for install,
> I have come to realize that all the packages  for the most part,
> the one NOT in the Ubuntu realm are not current.
>
> xmcd (2.6-17) Is one that comes to mind,
> so, how does one get the current version (3.3.2) (which is not listed)
> and have the simple install (aka: synaptic installer)?

You likely don't.  If it's not packaged as a .deb on their site, you _might_
be able to get it from Debian's 'sid' repository - but that could cause
major headaches with your existing Ubuntu  installation.

> please I'm not a command line guru.

That's really not relevant.  If it _was_ available on a Ubuntu repository,
I'd _still_ tell you to use:

# aptitude install xmcd

because it's a whole lot simpler than telling you how to do it in Synaptic.
Not being a "command line guru" doesn't mean that the command line should
be intimidating.
--
derek