ubuntu 5.10 read hard disk intensively and lock the keyboard, is it a bug?

Apatewna apatewna at yahoo.gr
Tue May 9 16:35:05 UTC 2006

chen ge wrote:
> i have to power off and restart.

What exactly do you mean "read hard disk intensively". You noticed the
disk light staying permanently lit?
And "locked keyboard"? Did Caps/Num lock work? Did the mouse move?

I noticed something similar, intensive hard disk activity while
receiving emails in Thunderbird and it was happening just a couple of
minutes after the desktop came up.
I quickly entered console run "top" and found "updatedb" running. My
system is quite fast to handle such a load (Athlon XP2600+/1G RAM/80G
ATA DISK) so after a while it was back to normal. I notice this thing
happening once every week or so, and didn't give it much attention.
If your hardware is kind of slow by definition and the "updatedb"
kicked in, you could possibly encounter an almost total lockup of the
system. Other than that your disk may have a bad sector.

You can always run "updatedb" to test my theory.

--
Thanasis Rizoulis
Electronic Computing Systems Engineer