Synaptic 'rollback' function?

Toby Kelsey toby_kelsey at ntlworld.com
Tue May 9 11:33:12 UTC 2006

Christoph Bier wrote:
> You're right, I made a grave mistake. Please try it again with
>
> 	dpkg --get-selections "*" > set1

root:~ # dpkg --get-selections "*" > set1

installed tuxmath

root:~ # dpkg --get-selections "*" > set2
root:~ # diff set1 set2
980a981
> libsdl-image1.2                                       install
1594a1596
> tuxmath                                               install
root:~ # dpkg --set-selections < set1
root:~ # apt-get dselect-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
root:~ # dpkg --get-selections "*" > set3
root:~ # diff set2 set3
root:~ # apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
root:~ # dselect install
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Do you want to erase any previously downloaded .deb files? [Y/n] y
Press enter to continue.

root:~ # dpkg --get-selections "*" > set4
root:~ # diff set2 set4

No rollback.

Where did you get the idea dpkg can rollback anyway?

Toby