Thinkpad Dapper: control external monitor/project?

Matthew Kuiken matt.kuiken at verizon.net
Tue May 9 07:26:10 UTC 2006

mattengland wrote:
> I'm still looking for pointers on this topic, in particular, what it
> means to "ONLY THE EXTERNAL MONITOR ACTIVE" as per this thread:

Matt,

Given the large number of configurations available for running dual
monitor setups, it is very difficult to help you without knowing what
you are running.  If you know which graphics chipset you are using,
please post it.  If you do not know, please post the output of the lspci
command.  This will give us somewhere to start from.

I personally have an Intel i915 graphics card that I just got working
dual screen today.  I am still playing with the settings to see what is
possible.  I have managed to run two different external monitors with
different settings, though.  If your card is similar to mine, I may be
able to help.

One thing I will say, anyone claiming to have the magic bullet for
fixing this is probably only working with one type of hardware, and
their "solution" will probably only work with a small subset of the
hardware out there.  When you are searching for a solution, search for
similar setups that are trying to accomplish the same goal as you.

One last thing, some of us don't get to email until odd times of the
day, and it's not uncommon for emails in this place to go unanswered for
a day or two.  Relax, and wait for the rest of the world to catch up.

-Matt