problem starting mysql - mysqld.sock missing

Ben Edwards (lists) lists at videonetwork.org
Mon May 8 11:15:07 UTC 2006

I have moved a dapper box and it has a new IP address (not sure if this
is relevant).  When I try to start mysql I get errors (c below).  There
is nothing in the /var/run/mysqld/ directory and mysqld.sock douse not
exist anywhere;(

Any ideas?

Ben

root at pilger:~# /etc/init.d/mysql start
Starting MySQL database server: mysqld.
.
...failed or took more than 6s.
        Please take a look at the syslog.
/usr/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)'
Check that mysqld is running and that the socket:
'/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' exists!