Printer recommendations

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Sun May 7 20:13:50 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I would like some feedback on current printers. I need a new one,
here's my ideal specs:

Nice middle range inkjet for home use. Doesn't have to be super-fast.
Individual ink tanks (I do a fair amount of colour printing but not
photos) at reasonable prices.
Must cope with 160gm card stock.
Combo with scanner would be nice (I can live without it though)
Works on Linux out the box. Doesn't matter if I have to use CUPS or lp
or foomatic, I'm happy either way. Just because I CAN write a driver
doesn't mean I WANT to or WILL :-)
Budget is 1000ZAR
Postscript??? (OK, I'm taking a fat chance on that, I know)
Current model, on sale in South Africa right now

My research shows that photo printers tend to have one colour cartidge
(expensive if you mainly use red) - is this a reasonable assumption?
I'm happy to pay more for the printer if I pay less for refills -
buying a new el-cheapo printer every time the tank runs out just
isn't an option. I like Canon but I know their Linux support sucks.
HP make some good stuff but compatibility is a throw of the dice, if
it says "host printing emulation/software" on the box then it
definitely is a winprinter. I'm told Epson mostly JustWork but
refills are quite expensive (and few stores carry them around here).
My previous experiences with Lexmark were very unpleasant...

Can anyone confirm or deny these impressions, and state a model that
fills my requirements?

--
If only me, you and dead people understand hex,
how many people understand hex?

Alan McKinnon
alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za