TAB action in ubuntu Konsole

Thilo Six T.Six at gmx.de
Sun May 7 16:14:57 UTC 2006

Carl Karsten wrote the following on 26.04.2006 07:13:
> OOzy Pal wrote:
>> I am an x-mandriva user. In mandriva, when I write a letter or two in
>> the konsole then click tab I get a list of all possible files in that
>> directory; however, in ubuntu konsole if I click tab and if there is
>> multiple possibilities I get nothing.
>>
>> Am I making it clear??
>
> I think so - assuming A) click = press key and B) mandriva is doing
> something non-standard.
>
> what should happen: ab<tab> expands to whatever ab uniquely defines,
> then <tab><tab> should display a list of all things that begin with ab.
>
> in other words: Try hitting it twice.
>
> Carl K

put this in /etc/inputrc
# If you have this in your /etc/inputrc or ~/.inputrc, you will no longer
# have to hit the <Tab> key twice to produce a list of all possible
completions.
# A single <Tab>  will suffice.
set show-all-if-ambiguous on

other usefull settings
# Adding this to your /etc/inputrc or ~/.inputrc will result in a character
# being appended to any file-names returned by completion, in much the same
# way as ls -F works.
set visible-stats on

# Completed names which are symbolic links to
# directories have a slash appended.
set mark-symlinked-directories on

I also really like this one a lot:
# alternate mappings for "page up" and "page down" to search the history
"\e[5~": history-search-backward
"\e[6~": history-search-forward

bye Thilo
- --