Visible lines on my LCD screen (Refresh rate problem?)

Apatewna apatewna at yahoo.gr
Sun May 7 09:20:01 UTC 2006

OOzy Pal wrote:
> On 5/7/06, mrwolff <mrwolff at bigred.unl.edu> wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure if this has to do with refresh rates or not, but I can see
>> little visible lines running across my screen sometimes.  It isn't
>> visible a lot of times, but for example with gray backgrounds or
>> something similar it is very visible.  I would say it was something
>> wrong with the refresh rates, but this is an LCD monitor on a Dell
>> Inspiron 6000 laptop.  Any ideas what they are or how I get rid of
>> them?  I checked my xorg.conf and did notice that the monitor was set at
>> 1280x800 at 60
>>
>> I'm not sure what the @ 60 does, but could I perhaps change that and get
>> rid of these lines?  What are the standard settings for an LCD monitor?
>> Do they even need refresh rates?
>>
>> --
>>

> @60 is the frequency that the monitor is refreshed at. I think playing
> with this number might help the problem. May be you can call dell and
> ask them. I know that they might support Linux but ask them if it is
> safe to go higher in Frequency.
>
> Is bigred still kicking a*s. I am not from the States but I studied my
> BSEE @UNL. It has been long time. Anyhow, good luck.
> --
> OOzy

You can always attach an external monitor to see if the culprit is the
VGA, assuming that you will run the external monitor at the same
resolution at refresh rate as the lcd in order to isolate the problem.

Booting from a live cd and testing the same resolution at refresh rate,
which equals to changing drivers, will also help you make up your mind
about the problem.

Something else slightly off topic.
Laptops tend to break just after the warranty period wares off (hi
uncle Murphy!) Remember to ask for a three-year warranty whenever
you're looking for a new laptop or buy the equivalent warranty
extention (if the manufacturer has such an option). It will save you
in the long run :)

--
Thanasis Rizoulis
Electronic Computing Systems Engineer