Bluetooth mouse in Dapper

Matthew Kuiken matt.kuiken at verizon.net
Sun May 7 05:47:43 UTC 2006

Cameron Hutchison wrote:
> I've just booted the Ubuntu Dapper Beta 2 live CD and I'm wondering what
> I have to do to get my bluetooth mouse (Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer
> for Bluetooth, Model 1001) working.
>
> When I plug in the bluetooth USB dongle that comes with the mouse, it is
> being detected by the kernel - /var/log/kern.log says:
>   input: HID 045e:00be as /class/input/input7
>   input: USB HID v1.11 Mouse [HID 045e:00be] on usb-0000:00:1d.1-1.3
>
> [There are other lines from the usb subsystem, but the ones above seem
> most relevant]
>
> However, nothing happens after that and the mouse does not work.
>
> Is there something else I need to do to get the mouse to work?

In a terminal, try:

sudo hcitool scan

While the command is running, press the "Connect" button on your mouse
(My mouse is a logitech, yours might have a different name for the button.)

The command should output something like this:

Scanning ...
        00:13:70:4F:83:3B       Nokia HS-26W

The set of numbers is the Bluetooth Device Address, bd_addr for short.

Running the command:

sudo hidd --connect <bd_addr>

should connect the mouse to the computer, and allow the mouse to work.

If this works, and you want it to do this on power-on, change the
/etc/default/bluez-utils file by:

Change:
HIDD_ENABLED=0