Linux security

John L Fjellstad john-ubuntu at fjellstad.org
Sat May 6 19:14:55 UTC 2006

Daniel Carrera <daniel.carrera at zmsl.com> writes:

> John L Fjellstad wrote:
>> No, you read me wrong.  I didn't think it's necessary that Windows will
>> be better.
>
> <quote>
> And it doesn't change Eric Dunbar's point in that as bugs get discovered
> and fixed, MS Windows will get better.
> </quote>

I misspoke.

>> I disagree that it's necessary that Windows will either stay
>> the same or be worse, which was your premise.
>
> Show me where I said that. Where did I say anything like that? I said
> that the pressures acting on Microsoft mean that to them it makes
> finnancial sense to release insecure software and just fix the 5-10%
> of bugs that hit users after they've done their damage. And I used an
> expert reference to back my position.

And I said, if the fix only the 5-10% thats hits the users, then the
rest doesn't matter. If a bug doesn't affect you, how does it affect
you?

>> Despite increasing functionality, it hasn't
>> become less stable, which is *your* premise.
>
> Show me where I said that. Either you can't read or you're making
> stuff up.

<quote>I disagree because propietary software vendors have all the wrong
motivations when it comes to security.</quote>

<quote>Theoretically yes. The point is that Microsoft has the wrong
motivations for producing secure software. All their finnancial
motivations point to creating insecure software quickly and fixing the
bugs after they hit users.</quote>

> I said that new functionality introduces bugs (true) and
> whether Windows gets better or worse depends on the rate at which old
> bugs are removed and the rate at which new bugs are introduced (also
> true). This isn't a difficult concept.

You have to continue that line of thought.  You stopping way too early.

New functionality introduces new bugs. true.
Windows get better or worse depends on the rate at which old bugs are
removed and the rate of new bugs are itnroduced. true.
Does it seems like Microsoft is incapable of keeping up with the bugs?
Is Windows getting more stable?

> I'd expect any high school kid
> to understand it. Why can't you?

Funny, I was thinking grammar school.  "My daddy can beat up his daddy.
Validate my feelings!".

I'm a Linux user. I couldn't give a flying crap about Windows. I hope it
gets better. I hope it gets perfect when it comes to security and
stability.  It doesn't affect me the least. My self-esteem is no way
affected by whether Windows is good or not.  I don't care.  Linux does
what I want and how I want it.  It works for me.  It's that simple.

--
John L. Fjellstad