Dapper: Dovecot mutters sthg about correcting /var/run permissions

David M lists2006 at viewport.ukfsn.org
Sat May 6 19:32:34 UTC 2006

Upon booting my system today, it decided it needed to fsck one of my
partitions, so it dropped out of the bootscreen and continued with a
text boot [1].

I noticed among the messages scrolling past, dovecot muttering something
about needing to correct permissions in /var/run. Is this related to
whatever new magick (varrun, varlock) seems to have appeared in the
filesystem?

(I've searched in /var/log but can't see the message logged anywhere.
Where might it be?)

Is this significant? I use dovecot to serve my mail via IMAP, and I have
noticed since installing dapper-beta that dovecot seems much more tetchy
than it ever did (depending on which mail client I use, some mail clients
seem to grumble about losing the IMAP connection unexpectedly (particularly
on switching between mail folders), some much more so than others, some
seem perfectly happy).

[1] On this subject, is there a way to flip back and forth between the
bootscreen and text boot mode if need be? Sometimes it is useful to
purposely see the full text of the boot messages.

--
| David M,    __________| replyto email valid <365 days | en, fr, (de) |
| Edinburgh, Scotland.  | but on-list replies preferred |   ________   |