Administration -> Shared Folders basically doesn't work. True?

ruscook ruscook_oz at yahoo.com.au
Sat May 6 11:41:05 UTC 2006

This works on ANY files in the /etc/init.d directory. These are the
daemons or services you run  on the machine. If you run DNS you might
find bind there. If you run DHCP service it will be dhcpd, fetchmail -
fetchmail etc.

I think, but don't know why, the purist approach is to use invoke-rc.d.
This from the man entry.
 invoke-rc.d [options] <basename> <action> [extra parameters]

  basename - Initscript ID, as per update-rc.d(8)
  action   - Initscript action. Known actions are:
                start, [force-]stop, restart,
                [force-]reload, status
  WARNING: not all initscripts implement all of the above actions.

  extra parameters are passed as is to the initscript, following
  the action (first initscript parameter).

By habit I still type /etc/init.d/xxx. Can anyone tell me why
invoke-rc.d is preferred?

Russ

On Sat, 2006-05-06 at 11:42 +0300, Alexander Kuznetsov wrote:

> On Fri, 2006-05-05 at 13:03 +0200, Albin Blaschka wrote:
> > sudo /etc/init.d/samba start
> > sudo /etc/init.d/samba stop
> > sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart
> >

> Thanks! It really works!