Memory

Joel Bryan T. Juliano joelbryan.juliano at gmail.com
Fri May 5 00:28:50 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-05-04 at 19:47 -0400, Richard wrote:
> Thanks Alan,
> did google, for the memory leak, and found the page,
> however, they said, at the end, the memory leak is still there,
>
> According to the system monitor,
> at the time, it said Firefox was using about 107 Meg under the virtual
> column.
>
> But Evolution, uses allot more... gee whiz,
>
> Thinks, I needs to look around for a better email program,
> and web browser...
>
> Rich
>

> On Thu, 2006-05-04 at 22:27 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> > > Hmmm, when I used to use Breezy (switched to Dapper permanently a
> > > month ago), it would use only 85MB of RAM once Gnome had finished
> > > about it...
> >
> > Before you do that you might want to try disable the Firefox "feature"
> > that consumes massive amounts of memory. I don't use ff myself, so
> > this is all from memory - google "Firefox memory leak" to make sure.
> >
> > The upshot is that recent ff pre-fetches massive amounts of stuff
> > hoping that maybe perhaps you might want to view all links on that
> > page. Neat, but it consumes memoryand bandwidth. It's not as bad as
> > it looks, ff will release that memory if the kernel insists it needs
> > it instead.
> >
> > Go to about:config and set network.prefetch-next to false, then see if
> > your problem goes away
> >
> > --
> > If only you and dead people understand hex,
> > how many people understand hex?
> >
> > Alan McKinnon
> > alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za
> > +27 82, double three seven, one nine three five

This is getting really annoying, alot of applications are getting
spoiled by giving them too much memory, I suggest that those
applications should be given a lowest priority. And renice them every 30
seconds. I just killall -s 9 my inkscape because it made my system
unresponsive and will waste another 30 minutes just to reallocate memory
before my system become responsive again. I'm planning to write a memory
manager for GNOME "dubbed the Honesty System" that sets the memory
allocations of those applications to a specific size, and warn the user
if the application is making the system unresponsive, and give them an
option to killall -s 9 that application right away.

--
Joel Bryan T. Juliano <joelbryan.juliano at gmail.com>