[Off Topic] Re: Linux security

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at zmsl.com
Thu May 4 09:33:49 UTC 2006

Michael T. Richter wrote:
> If you're getting hit by worms, trojans and viruses I'm sorry, but
> you're doing something positively, absolutely */_WRONG_/*.  And you'll
> do all those very same things wrong if you use Linux and Linux is the
> target of worms, trojans and viruses.

Well, I'm reasonably knowledgeable of computers, and I'm paranoid about
security. And I can't think of anything else to do besides dumping
Windows. Look, I've given you an example of a group of people who are
*not* clueless, do all the right things I can think of, are conscious
computer users, and have a healthy level of paranoia and still get hit
by viruses. Sure, they get hit less often than their friends do, but
they still get hit.

Giving an example of someone who didn't get hit doesn't prove as much as
giving an example of someone who does get hit. It's like when someone
says "we haven't had any more terrorist attacks in the 5 years since Sep
11, 2001, therefore the government is doing a good job" while ignoring
the fact that the USA didn't have similar attacks in the 5 years prior
to Sep 11. Another example, the fact that your house hasn't been broken
into doesn't prove that your house is secure. Whereas, having your house
broken into does prove that your house was not secure.

Cheers,
Daniel.
--
      /\/`) http://opendocumentfellowship.org