one thing i find anoying is

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Thu May 4 05:20:13 UTC 2006

On Thu, 4 May 2006 00:45:17 -0400
"Eric Dunbar" <eric.dunbar at gmail.com> wrote:

[ Andrew Zajac wrote:]

> > I think is that a lot of people who would otherwise "support" linux don't
> > really get that this is about software freedom and that is pretty easy to
> > do.  Just release the source.  You don't have to do anything else.
>
> That's not support. That's "do it yourself" which is exactly where we're at now.

Well, not quite. If manufacturers release source code, clearly "someone"
has to "do it yourself". In this case it the "someones"  would be those
with the expertise and knowledge to make and package the drivers, apps  etc

The rest of us would then profit from their contributions without needing
to "do it (ourselves)".

We ordinary mortals can help by answering questions, or helping people to
install and configure Ubuntu.

It's really kind of pointless to rant about the limitations and failings of
Linux. As Linux users we are part of the solution, even if only a small
part. If we aren't, I guess we are part of the problem.

But when it comes to hardware support, only a tiny fraction of the
community knows enough really to solve the problem for the rest of us. It
would be much easier for that minority if they had access to
specifications and/or source code.

Peter

 --

"Hyperlinks subvert hierarchy."