one thing i find anoying is

Andrew Zajac arzajac at gmail.com
Thu May 4 03:08:15 UTC 2006

On 5/3/06, Michael T. Richter <ttmrichter at gmail.com> wrote:

> I know just how likely it is that a small company is going to give away
> its competitive edge to a bunch of what amounts to anti-commerce communists.

Let the market decide.  I will not subscribe to an ISP that requires me to
run a windows-only dialer application to connect a modem to the internet.
There is no competitive edge to making non-windows users lives difficult.

I see your point, but I think it only really applies to a very small
percentage of the applications that some companies "support" when you buy
something with the name of an OS written on the box.

Give these people a business case -- and by "business case" I mean "orders
> in the range of millions" and they might just start seeing a competitive
> advantage in releasing their source.  But with Linux being the fringe market
> it is now, it's simply not worth it.

That's why we're here, no?

azz