u-server cronjob to apt-get update

Darryl Clarke smartssa at gmail.com
Wed May 3 16:24:20 UTC 2006

On 5/3/06, C Hamel <yogich at sc2000.net> wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 May 2006 10:14, Darryl Clarke wrote:
> > On 5/3/06, Carl Karsten <carl at personnelware.com> wrote:
> > > Shouldn't a ubuntu-server install keep itself up to date?
> > >
> > > I thought I had read this, but now I can't find it.
> > >
> > > If it is up to me, is there a recommended cronjob script?
> >
> > by default, It _should_ keep the package lists up to date, but it
> > should _not_ install packages automagically for you.
> >
> > check /etc/cron.daily for a file called 'apt' -- it's the default script
> >
> > It mentions a few things on how to change its behaviour if you would
> > like it to do unattended upgrades.
> >

> > --
> > ~ Darryl  ~ smartssa at gmail.com
> > ~ http://darrylclarke.com
> Is it just me, or is the commenting within that file clear as mud??  I don't
> consider myself all that script-savvy, for one thing.  I'm with Carl, if he
> wishes for auto-updates.  I'd like them to be finished by the time my day
> starts.

Depends on what colour your Mud is.

The first comment:
# This file understands the following apt configuration variables:

translates into:
# Whatever you've got configured apt to do globally with
apt/aptitude/synaptic/updatemanager, this script will obey the
following configuration options:

these configuration options are found happily, in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/
in various files, usually named to what program was used to set it.

So basically, if you throw the line:
APT::Periodic::Unattended-Upgrade "1";

In a file, say:
/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/99custom

This also requires the package 'unattended-upgrades' as the file states,
and for stability reasons it only does security upgrades.

~ Darryl  ~ smartssa at gmail.com
~ http://darrylclarke.com