[Off Topic] Re: Linux security

Florian Diesch diesch at spamfence.net
Wed May 3 13:18:38 UTC 2006

"Michael Richter" <ttmrichter at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Windows
>> > is available to anybody with a half a brain cell to spare.
>
>> Of course, it could be argued that Linux is now also available to the
>> similarly endowed.
>
> It could, I guess, but not very successfully.  There's too many calls for "open
> a CLI and type the following Mystic Incantations<tm>" when problems are
> reported.  Often the Mystic Incantations<tm> in question are not readily found
> by reading available documentation -- you have to go deep into design docs or,
> worse, source code to figure them out.  (ALSA, I'm looking at you here.)
>
> For all its myriad flaws, Windows still kicks ass on any Linux distribution --
> even Ubuntu, so far the easiest distro I've found in terms of the end-user
> experience -- for ease of use.

I don't think so. There are some things that are more easy to do with
Windows, but others are much more difficult. Think of all the programs
you have to install until you can work with windows (and you first have
to buy them!); and all that viruses, worm, trojan horses and the like;
and all the things you have to configure to have a usable working
environment (hidden file extensions are kind of a bad joke, right?).

IMHO for most end-users Ubuntu is much more easy to use unless they have
badly supported hardware or need specials software that's not available
for Linux.

   Florian
--
If only you and dead people understand hex, how many people understand hex?