one thing i find anoying is

Andrew Zajac arzajac at gmail.com
Wed May 3 13:55:14 UTC 2006

On 5/3/06, Matthew Palmer <mpalmer at hezmatt.org> wrote:

> The problem is that Linux is not a single entity.  When you support
> Windows,
> you need to handle maybe a dozen possible ways to configure your network
> settings.  With all the different distributions/desktop
> environments/optional programs available, there's a *scary* number of
> different ways to do that same task in Linux.

An ISP will have to be able to help you get your router connected to the
net, and the routers' user interfaces are all different.  Why is it
different for an operating system?

Your router comes with some documentation and so does Ubuntu.  At best, the
ISP tech-support only tells you where to look.

As for more intricate areas of the operating system, I don't buy the
argument that all linux distributions are different.  If I expect a company
to provide me with "linux support", I expect GPL-compatible applications
distributed in source form, and not some binary-only packages that only
work on Red Hat 8.1.  Let the individual distributions take care of making
the tarball work out-of-the-box.

I think is that a lot of people who would otherwise "support" linux don't
really get that this is about software freedom and that is pretty easy to
do.  Just release the source.  You don't have to do anything else.

azz