Adding local repository

Erling Ringen Elvsrud systemansvarlig at vagaungdomsskule.no
Wed May 3 12:07:55 UTC 2006

on den 03.05.2006 klokka 13:52 (+0300) skreiv OOzy Pal:
> I don't want to install them I just want to tell apt-get that there is
> a local directory that contains deb packages and to look in this
> directory for the required programs.

I have recently implemented a local repository at work. For instance to
host custom packages like sun-java and a Citrix ICA client.

I also want to try to automate administration tasks on workstations
through a custom package (with the install scripts). If the workstations
update the package regurarly trough (ana)cron I can just script changes
on the workstations with a special package that I test on my personal
workstation first before I put it in the repository.

Back to how you can setup a local repository. Basically what you need is
a FTP or HTTP-server with a special directory structure and the
apt-utils package installed. You put your packages in the correct
directory and update the repository with programs in the apt-utils
package.

I used the following tutorial which is pretty easy to follow:
http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto/howtos/debrepository

Just change the Debian specific names to the corresponding Ubuntu ones.

On the clients I just add this line in /etc/apt/sources.list:
deb http://ubuntu.intern.xxxxxxxxxxx.xx/ubuntu dapper non-free updates

Erling