HELP, please: Cannot modify my networking settings!

Panos Tsapralis ptsapralis at gmail.com
Tue May 2 20:16:21 UTC 2006

Ubuntu Breezy Badger with GNOME Desktop on an IBM Thinkpad R40 laptop.

When I select System -> Administration -> Networking, the "Network settings"
dialog is displayed on the desktop but an error messaging pops up
immediately, stating "Could not run su", "Check that you have permissions to
run this command". I get this error message even when I log in as root or
when I directly execute the command "network-admin" within a terminal.

The result is that I cannot modify my network settings, so, I am tied to my
ADSL connection at home and I cannot connect my system to the corporate data
network at my workplace (I have temporarily bypassed the dead-lock by using
a SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 9 virtual system within VMWARE Player, but
this cannot be a permanent solution by any means).

What is happening here? Have I done something wrong? How can I unlock my
network settings?

Thanks,
--
Panos Tsapralis,