Ubuntu Dapper on VIA EPIA-MS; no video after installation

John Schofield schoflist at dakim.com
Tue May 2 00:48:59 UTC 2006

I am attempting to install Ubuntu Dapper (from the Beta 2 CD) onto a
PC running on a VIA EPIA-MS motherboard. The install seems to work,
but I can't get graphical video out of the unit.

Data Points:

-- The installer screen gets garbled during text install. Rebooting
and then selecting VGA mode 1280x1024 @ 60Hz fixed that problem.
-- Even if I do a server-only install, booting into text mode blanks
the screen. I do see the graphical bootup progress bar no problem.
-- If I do a full install, I see the graphical bootup progress bar,
and then the screen goes black and stays black.
-- Booting into recovery mode (from the grub boot menu) works great;
no problems in text mode there.
-- The LCD is hooked up via the LVDS connector on the motherboard.
-- I have also tried this with an additional LCD hooked up to the VGA
connector. In Dapper Flight 6, both the VGA LCD and the LVDS LCD
would be blank. In Dapper Beta 2, the VGA LCD works fine but the LVDS
LCD behaves as above. The goal is to get it working with the LVDS LCD.

Questions:
-- Should I file a bug on this with the Ubuntu Dev team? What's the
recommended way to do that?
-- Any suggestions for how I can resolve this issue?

My Hardware:

Motherboard
     *  EPIA-MS Rev. B
     * EPIA-MS BIOS 1.05