thunderbird?

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Tue May 2 00:31:19 UTC 2006

On Mon, 01 May 2006 23:33:06 +0000
"Mark W." <mrkwht at telus.net> wrote:

> After downloading mozilla-thunderbird_1.0.7-0ubuntu1_i386.deb
> to the home directory and running - in the same directory:
> sudo apt-get install mozilla-thunderbird_1.0.7-0ubuntu1_i386.deb,
> all I get is "Cuoldn't find package mozilla-thunderbird_1.0.7-0ubuntu1_i386.deb
>
> What am I doing wrong? Is there another way to get Thunderbird mail client
> onto Ubuntu 5.10?

You didn't need to go out and search for the package then "download.... to
the home directory" . Ubuntu has a different, and *far* easier way to
install packages (in fact there are several apps to do it for you )

1) Easiest: Click on "Add Applications" in the main menu, and enter your
user password in the dialogue that pops up
 - Enter "thunderbird" in the search field of the program and click
"Search" - you will see the result in the left pane.
 - Tick the box next to "Thunderbird Mail Client", close the warning
dialogue that tells you which dependencies will be installed, and click
"Apply", then confirm and the app will be downloaded and installed
automatically for you.

2) If you want to, you can browse in the same "Add Applications" program
for other apps, or click  "Advanced" under "File" to get the Synaptic
Package Manager for more packages. Synaptic is also directly accessible
under the "System - Administration" section of the desktop menus.

3) You can use the apt-get or aptitude command line tools

A few places to look and read:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UserDocumentation
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SynapticHowto
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AddingRepositoriesHowto  - definitely read this: