Configuring grub: how do I determine location of /boot?

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Mon May 1 18:21:49 UTC 2006

On Monday 01 May 2006 19:48, David M wrote:
> My system has for a long time been slightly unstable, in that
> occasionally it locks up (as far as user input and graphical
> updates are concerned) entirely for no apparent reason (although,
> weirdly, if music, etc, is playing at the time, it repeatedly loops
> the last second or so of the sound that was playing, suggesting
> that somewhere, deep down, the computer is at least still partially
> alive..). I suspect this is due to a probably shonky motherboard,
> but I'd like to consider all options..
>

> I've gathered that disabling acpi and/or apic (with the noacpi and
> noapic boot options) may increase system stability in some
> instances, and have read the GrubHowto:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/GrubHowto
>
> However, this contains the fear-inducing phrase:
> "If /boot is mounted on another partition and you use update-grub,
> then you may run into problems."
>
> ("another partition" from *what*, btw?)

This doesn't seem in any way relevant to what you want to do

> Soooo.., how can I find out where /boot actually is?

/boot is at ... /boot. To find out which partition it is (if any), run
'mount'. If you find no entry, then the /boot directory is on the
same partition as /

> My system has whatever-is-installed-in-the-MBR installed in the MBR
> of my first hard disk (hda) (which otherwise contains Some Other
> System), but Ubuntu itself is installed on the second hard disk
> (hdb).

edit /boot/grub/grub.conf (it might be called menu.lst on Ubuntu and
ass 'noapic' or 'noacpi' to the end of the relevant line starting
with 'kernel'. Reboot.

--
If only you and dead people understand hex,
how many people understand hex?

Alan McKinnon
alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za