The logs kept piling up, so...

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon May 1 14:07:00 UTC 2006

Chanchao wrote:

> I noticed all the crap piling up in /var/log and /var/cache pretty much
> uncontrolled, so I did a ' sudo rm -r /var/log/* '  but it turns out a
> lot of packages don't like this at all and are unable to recreate their
> own logs!  I fixed it for apache2, but mysql I'll probably have to
> reinstall as it keeps giving me errors when starting mysqld, even though
> I did recreate a 'mysql' folder in /var/log

They can recreate their own _logs_ but you deleted the directories
containing those logs - you probably haven't given it appropriate
ownership.  Reinstalling the appropriate package is no big deal: "aptitude
reinstall mysql-server" should fix everything (delete the log directory
again, so it gets created correctly).
--
derek