Resizing an NTFS partition........

Sean Hammond sean.hammond at gmail.com
Mon May 1 10:22:09 UTC 2006

This is interesting. Personally, I've found that the graphical
partition tool on Dapper Live (I believe it's just GParted embedded in
the the Espresso installer) works very badly indeed. It almost always
gives me an error to the effect of "One of the partitions you tried to
edit was mounted, so changes could not be applied" even though I never
mount the partitions, or any partition on the same device. Once or
twice it turns out the changes were in fact successfully applied
despite this error message, but usually nothing applies. Fortunately
it never damages anything just fails to apply the requestred changes.

I got this with the Dapper Live system, but also just using GParted on
Breezy and Hoary, on live and installed systems. I'd guess I've had
this problem on about half a dozen completely different machines.

On the other hand, I've found that the text-mode partition editor on
the text-install CDs, on all releases of Ubuntu, has never failed on
the very same machines.

Seems bizarre to me that others haven't had this experience.