Could Not find very basic packages using APT...

David Symons ubuntu at liberatedcomputing.net
Mon May 1 03:45:38 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-01 at 08:13 +0500, Fawad Nazir wrote:
> I had simlar problems when i used to GUI following
> http://wiki.ubuntu.com/AddingRepositoriesHowto.
>
> I think i am missing some essential packages.

Hi Fawad,

I think your issues are stemming from changes to your sources.list file
which lists the repositories that apt tools (such as Synaptic and
apt-get) will use. I'd suggest opening it with

    sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

and changing its contents to be the same as
    http://paste.ubuntu-nl.org/6047
Then do a "sudo apt-get update" and retry your installs.

> Which distribution do you recommend for kernel compilation and kernel
> programming/development?

Ubuntu would be fine for that (afaik).  It's just that what's on the
install CD is more targeted to the general desktop user than the
developer.  Once the internet repositories are enabled you have access
to over 18,000 packages.  Plenty for the developer in there :) .

Cheers, Dave.
--
David Symons
https://launchpad.net/people/bimberi