xv for Ubuntu

Daniel Robitaille robitaille at gmail.com
Mon May 1 00:08:05 UTC 2006

On 4/30/06, Soo-Hyun Choi <s.choi at hackers.org.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am looking for the Ubuntu package for xv
> (http://www.trilon.com/xv/xv.html). Is there anyone who knows where
> can I get it?
>
> I did "sudo pat-cache search xv" with no useful information.

xv is not part of Ubuntu (and Debian) because of its license.  But a
google search turns out a few deb files that may work in Ubuntu (I
haven't tried them myself).  For examples:

http://ftp.fifi.org/debian-local/stable/unofficial/xv/
http://www.jw-stumpel.nl/xv.html

The one thing to remember is that xv hasn't been officially updated in
over 10 years.  So it contains security vulnerabilities (a google
search turns out a few security advisories).  Something to remember
when you install and use that great application (I really wish it was
actively supported)

--
Daniel Robitaille