vbe and X

Luis M lemsx1 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 17:48:16 UTC 2006

man vbetool
BUGS

       Switching dpms modes may interact badly with X on some systems.

On my system (fresh Dapper installation from a jigdo CD freshly
burned) the vbesave service made X really BAD. I couldn't click on
anything on the screen after two days running X.

This is a dangerous service to be on by default on all systems. There
is no way to get the system to restart (everything seems very very
slow). Unless you pull the power plug or press CTRL+ALT+DELETE and
wait 30 min or so for the system to finish the rebooting process!

After turning off vbesave the system is up and running fine. (I also
turned off powernowd services since this is a Pentium 4 system).

Specs:

$> profile-computer

#==============================================================================#

# profile-computer 1.17 Luis Mondesi <lemsx1 at gmail.com>

# http://lems.kiskeyix.org/toolbox/?f=profile-computer&d=1

#==============================================================================#

Host Name: cypher

System Kernel: Linux cypher 2.6.15-19-686 #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Mar 20
17:33:20 UTC 2006 i686 GNU/Linux

#==============================================================================#

CPU Info: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz

Total Processors: 2

Bogomips total: 11973

#==============================================================================#

Memory: 1026044 kB

Virtual Memory (swap): 1951888 kB

#==============================================================================#

Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82865G/PE/P DRAM Controller/Host-Hub
Interface (rev 02)

VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated
Graphics Controller (rev 02)

USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI
Controller #1 (rev 02)

USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI
Controller #2 (rev 02)

USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI
Controller #3 (rev 02)

USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI
Controller #4 (rev 02)

USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB2 EHCI
Controller (rev 02)

PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev c2)

ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) LPC Interface
Bridge (rev 02)

IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) IDE
Controller (rev 02)SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R)
SMBus Controller (rev 02)

Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R)
AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)

Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82541EI Gigabit Ethernet
Controller (Copper)

#==============================================================================#

Distributor ID:  Ubuntu

Distributor Release:  6.06

Distributor Codename:  dapper

Distributor Description:  Ubuntu (The Dapper Drake Release) Development Branch

#==============================================================================#

Library: libc6

Compiler Version: gcc (GCC) 4.0.3 (Ubuntu 4.0.3-1ubuntu3)

#==============================================================================#

/proc/cmdline

root=/dev/hda1 ro acpi=ht quiet splash

--
Luis Mondesi

"We think basically you watch television to turn your brain off, and
you work on your computer when you want to turn your brain on" --
Steve Jobs in an interview for MacWorld Magazine 2004-Feb

No .doc: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.es.html