Enterprise install

Antony Gelberg antony at wayforth.co.uk
Fri Mar 31 14:52:02 UTC 2006

Hi,

We are migrating a small-business customer to Linux.  \o/

We are going to install a Debian server, and are deliberating between
Debian and Ubuntu desktops.  We are aware of the differences, and this
isn't a flame.  They probably don't even need the newer software in
Ubuntu, and might well get away with Debian / Gnome, but we'd like to
try again, having had issues with one or two bugs in Breezy.

1. Is it possible to install Ubuntu with the standard Debian setup of a
root user?    I know that the default is to have a standard local user
who belongs to various groups and can use sudo.  We don't want that.  We
will be pulling user and group information from LDAP, and don't want any
local users other than root.

2. Is it possible to seed the Ubuntu install in the same way as Debian?
 We would like to automate large parts of it, with regard to things like
network configuration, installed packages etc.

Antony