Synchronization Question

Sean Hammond sean.hammond at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 13:19:26 UTC 2006

The problem you will have is rsync is if you make changes in both
directions - i.e. sometimes you make changes on the thumbdrive and you
need to update the laptop copy, and sometimes you made changes on the
laptop and you want to update the thumb drive copy.

With rsync, you will always have to remember which copy you changed
last, and always update the out-of-date copy before making any changes
to that copy.

If you modify both copies at once without syncing them in-between,
rsync is not able to 'merge' the updates from each into the other.

Unison however can do this merge.

In other words rsync is for uni-directional syncing, unison handles
bi-directional syncing.