DLL vs Shared Library

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at zmsl.com
Fri Mar 31 11:55:38 UTC 2006

Tony Arnold wrote:
>>>And I believe the packging system developed by Ian Murdoch of Debian was
>>>designed explicitly to separate out libraries from applications into
>>>different packages. I think this was a stroke of genius as no-one had
>>>thought to do it like this before!
>>
>>How is it different from RPM or BSD's ports?
>
> I don't know. I'm not familiar with these. I was just under the
> impression that Debian did it first.

Hmmm... It looks like they are all very close.

Debian, FreeBSD and RedHat were all founded in 1993. FreeBSD was before
Debian (not sure about RH). This is just 2 years after Linus' famous email:

      Hello everybody out there using minix -

      I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't
      be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones.

FreeBSD branched out from 4.4BSD but I don't know if 4.4BSD had ports
yet. So, it looks like all three systems are contemporary with each
other unless BSD ports date back from 4.4BSD.

Quite interesting.

Cheers,
Daniel.
--