Eyestrain relief possible on ubuntu?

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Fri Mar 31 10:49:30 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-31 at 17:34 +1000, Erik Christiansen wrote:
> Oops! Setting firefox's edit->preferences->"fonts & colours":"text &
> background" to (e.g.) yellow on grey did nothing, despite having ticked
> "Always use my colours",  ...  _until_ I observed and unticked "Use
> system colours". Initially I missed the inbuilt conflict.
>
> For openoffice, format->page->background allows filling the page
> background, so that leaves only the application background on high beam.
> Unfortunately, that's the largest area, by default.
>
> Looking at a theme's gtkrc file, assignments for background, foreground,
> and other colour data stand out, but does gnome support setting of the
> window backgrounds? At
> http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/gtk-Resource-Files.html, the
> GTK+ Reference Manual seems to suggest we can only set the colour of
> widgets:
>

> Within a style declaration, the possible elements are:
> bg[state] = color    Sets the color used for the background of most widgets.
> fg[state] = color    Sets the color used for the foreground of most widgets.
> base[state] = color  Sets the color used for the background of widgets
>                      displaying editable text. This color is used for
>                      the background of, among others, GtkText, GtkEntry,
>                      GtkList, and GtkCList.
> <<<
>
> So the window background still eludes us, it seems. :-(
>
> When I try:
>
> ooffice2 -draw -bg darkslategrey ~/drafts/test_drawing.odg
>
> openoffice complains with: "/home/erik/darkslategrey doesn't exist"
>
> before opening the drawing, with a white background. It was worth a try,
> even though the ooffice2 manpage didn't explcitly mention support for
> basic X options.
>
> Hmmm ... there has to be some way.
>
> Erik

Well I can't help you anymore.... you already know more than I now ;-)
As far as I understand you, it seems you succeeded in installed the
Gnome theme you wanted, but you it seems you want more than the a Gtk
theme actually provides, so sadly you are on your own if you want to
further customize things.
One problem, is that Firefox isn't really a proper/native Gnome
application, so generally speaking, you can't expect it to integrate
perfectly with the Gnome desktop in the first place. Same goes for
OpenOffice.
You may have more luck if you use alternative Gnome programs, like
Epiphany or Galeon for web browsing, and Abiword and Gnumeric for
spreadsheet and word processing, for example.

Good luck anyway...

--
Vince