Using Ubuntu

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at zmsl.com
Fri Mar 31 08:32:21 UTC 2006

Jean Hollis Weber wrote:
> I have been working all day today (8 hours so far) in Ubuntu, not
> Windows. I am very pleased with myself. :-)

Yay!  I'm gland you're giving it a good try.

I've been in the Ubuntu users list the last couple of weeks and I quite
like it. The people are friendly and very helpful. And yesterday I had a
great experience submitting a bug report in Gnome. It was nothing like
OOo's IssueZilla. It was a friendly-looking website that asked on
question at a time, questions were simple, and it guided me through all
the information for submitting the report.

In the end the bug was a duplicate, and even the "this is a duplicate"
email was nice enough to (1) thank me for the submission and (2)
encourage me to submit again later.

These are little things I guess, but I do like the attitude of Gnome and
Ubuntu, of trying to make things nice for the user. Gnome is a much more
complex project than OOo, and submitting a bug to them was much easier.

> Alas, now I have to do some things involving Acrobat, so I've rebooted
> to Windows.

Next time you're on Ubuntu, try running it with wine (Windows Emulator).
I don't actually expect it to work, but no harm in trying.

To install wine, go to Synaptic and search for "wine". I just noticed a
package called "xwine", get that too. It's a GUI front-end for wine.

You'll need to figure out the path to the Acrobat executable. Perhaps
something like:

/win/Program Files/Acrobat/Acrobat.exe

(just guessing)

You can try to run executable from the command line with:

wine /path/to/acrobat

Or start 'xwine' on the command line.

Like I said, I don't actually expect it to work. The last time I tried
wine all I could get running was Notepad :)  But that was several years
ago and since then Wine has reached the beta stage (version 0.9). It was
a big news day when Wine reached beta. It took them 12 years to reach
that stage.

Hmm... I just read this: "As of late 2005, Wine runs most software with
good stability."  We'll see about that :)

Cheers,
Daniel.
--
      /\/`) http://opendocumentfellowship.org