Creative Commons cafe - looking for music player software

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Thu Mar 30 08:29:24 UTC 2006

Sean Hammond wrote:
> Looking around...
>
> Totem can display decent fullscreen visualisation with Goom... but it
>>
> Rhythmbox, Muine and Banshee are all very nice and seem to offer
>>
> XMMS and BMP don't seem to offer anything either -
> Quod Libet doesn't seem to have anything suitable out of the box either.
>
> I haven't tried Amarok...
>
> On 3/29/06, Sean Hammond <sean.hammond at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Okay, so there is a cafe here in Edinburgh, The Forest
>>(http://www.theforest.org.uk/). The forest includes a space for
>>independent musicians to record, perform and sell their music, and the
>>cafe plays only non-copyright music from these musicians and
>>downloaded from creative commons sources.
>>
>>The cafe plays music from a computer that is connected to a projector,
>>they would like to be able to display information through the
>>projector about each song as it plays - artist, album, how much you
>>can buy it for at the forest or where you can download it from, plus a
>>tagline saying 'the forest only uses creative commons music' or
>>something. I guess all that could be stored in the meta-data of the
>>music files.
>>
>>So does anyone know of a FLOSS music player that can run fullscreen,
>>perhaps but not necessarily displaying some visualisation, and
>>displaying this information about each track as it plays, either when
>>the song starts or throughout the track?
>>
>>The Forest also has a mac, so any free (of cost) mac software would
>>also be worth knowing about, but proper FLOSS is preferable.
>>
>>Recommendations?

I don't know how well it meets all of your needs but Amarok does
automatically show track info from the ID3 tags and through web lookups.
If the ID3 is setup it lets you see a short artist bio and even lyrics.
Potentially you could route the lookups to a local database, since
amarok stores its "collection" on a local RDMS (SQLITE, MySQL, or
PostGRESQL and just points to free cddb info and lyrics on the web(just
serve them locally and change the pointer)

Alex