Clear the computer's memory?

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Mar 30 08:00:12 UTC 2006

Daniel,

Daniel Carrera wrote:

> You know what would be nice, if there was a tool that told me how much
> memory an application is using. Yes, I know about 'top', but after
> reading the man pages I can't figure out how to sort the processes
> according to how much memory they take.

Hitting 'M' while top is running will sort the processes in descending
order of r percentage memory used. 'x' should cause changing fields to
be highlighted.

The sorting options seem to be documened in the man page but not in the
help screens that come with top.

Regards,
Tony.
E: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk, H: http://www.man.ac.uk/Tony.Arnold