patents

Brian Puccio brian at brianpuccio.net
Thu Mar 30 06:12:55 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-29 at 14:52 -0500, Eric Dunbar wrote:
> > MP3 will never be Free in the Debian/FSF/GNU/etc sense of the word.
>
> MP3 will be 'free' once the relevant patents expire!

I have a feeling many tech companies will start to look to extend the
times of their patents, much in the way Disney (and the rest of the huge
media conglomerate) have been successful at lobbying for copyright
extension.

Plus, there is the fact that a lot of patents don't expire everywhere at
the same time. I remember the burn all gif's website had a pretty
complete list of when the patents expired where.

(Thank you for pointing this out though :))
                                                   brian at brianpuccio.net
                                                   GPG Key ID 0xBBD2401F