patents

Michael V. De Palatis mdepalatis at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Mar 30 03:12:01 UTC 2006

On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 10:04:53AM +0700, Chanchao wrote:
> that's not what people by and large use, currently, and likely for
> years to come.)

Not to mention, right now there really isn't a huge incentive for
people to switch over to ogg, for example, because their (my) MP3
players won't support it. That's why they're called "MP3 players" :)

Now, if there was a pact all of a sudden that every new portable
digital music player would support Open Format X, then I can see a
large number of people switching over to that. But for now, only the
most zealotous actually use ogg and other formats, because for
everyone else, there is a reason to use MP3.

Don't get me wrong, if I had a music player that supported ogg, I
would use ogg. But I also am not going to go out of my way and pay
more than I would otherwise just to get this support. It's also less
of a hassle to have to convert my preexisting MP3s over to ogg anyway.

Mike