Lexmark printer install

Jim McQuiston jsmcq at comcast.net
Thu Mar 30 01:53:18 UTC 2006

singlecell wrote:
> I have a Lexmark E120N network printer attached to my local network, but
> can't find a way to use it under breezy or dapper.
>
> Gone through the add printer option many times, but cannot find a
> Lexmark printer selection that works with the E120 (there's no E120
> either).
>
> I can see the printer's config web page via browser, and one of the
> Lexmark drivers I tried caused the printer to output junk, so the
> printer is accessible from the Ubuntu machine. The printer works from
> Windows machines.
>
> I've actually tried installing the Debian drivers from the
> manufacturer's website, but they don't appear in list of printers. The
> "have drivers" option in the add printer dialog is also looking for a
> file type not available in any of the manufacturers Linux drivers.
>
> Any ideas what I can try? How do I re-package the Debian drivers for
> Ubuntu (and how do printer drivers get added to the distribution anyway)?

I have a Lexmark X5150 hooked to my Windows box and here is the solution
 that I put into place. I cannot take credit for it, it comes from
"Linux Desktop Hacks" by Nicholas Petreley and Jon Bacon (ISBN
0-596-00911-9). This particular hack is hack #95. I have condensed it a
bit, I suggest you consult the text for more detail.

1. Download and install the following programs on the Windows box that
has the printer:

Ghostscript 	http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/doc/afpl/get814.htm
RedMon		http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/redmon/
GSview		http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/gsview/index.htm

****note: GSview is sometimes packaged with Ghostscript

2. Within the directory containing gsprint.exe (usually c:\gs\gsview)
create a file called gsprint.cfg with the following content:

- -noquery
- -color
- -printer
windows_printer_name
- -ghostscript
"C:\GS\GS8.14\BIN\GSWIN32C.EXE"

*****note: windows_printer_name must EXACTLY match the name of the real
windows printer in the control panel. (CASE SENSITIVE!!!!)

*****note: the last line of the file must match exactly the path back to
GSWIN32C.exe, your installation may vary.

*****note: remove the -color reference if you are using a black and
white printer.

*****note: there must not be any trailing or leading spaces on any of
the lines and there must not be any blank lines in the file.

3. Create a new printer on the Windows machine that uses the Apple II
LaserWriter driver. I used the Apple Color LW 12/660 PS printer driver.

4. View the properties of the new Apple printer. Go to the ports tab and
click Add Port and select Redirected port (This is why you installed
RedMon). Call the port RDR1 and click OK. Click configure port and add
these settings:

Redirect to program:	C:\GS\GSVIEW\GSPRINT.EXE
Arguments for program:	-   <---single dash, no spaces
Output:			Program handles output
Run as user		Select this option

Save all of this stuff

RDR1. Print a test page from the Apple printer. It should appear on the
real Lexmark printer. If not, check #1 through # 4 with a very fine
toothed comb.

6. Give the Apple printer a short share name of less than eight
characters. I called mine Penguin.

7. On the Linux box, presuming KDE here, Go to System Settings and
Printers. Start the Add Printer wizard and select SMB (windows) printer.
Fill in the necessary information for workgroup(domain), server, and
printer share name (in my case, Penguin). You may be able to hit the
scan button and find everything you need. Tell the wizard the printer is
a Apple II Laserwriter or Apple 12/640 ps. Save everything and exit.

8. Presuming your test in #5 was good, you should be ready to print from
Linux. Have fun.

- --
 Jim McQuiston

Registered Linux User #375957
 "I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five
hours." -- Hunter S.Thompson