Clear the computer's memory?

Michael V. De Palatis mdepalatis at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Mar 30 00:10:04 UTC 2006

On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 05:01:16PM -0700, Bry Melvin wrote:
> Intall Microsoft Windows
>
> all joking aside. although there ARE some serious leaks in Mozilla Firefox etc. when you close them it mostly goes away and does not necessitate user action.
>
> Don't expect to see a lot of unused memory, as you might have gotten used to in other Operating systems.
> Linux is built somewhat fom the point of view that unused memory is wasted memory.

On that note, keep in mind also that the reported memory usage is not
necessarily what is *actually* being used. Just because some memory is
"in use" doesn't mean that nothing else can use it. It's all very
complicated, and it was once explained to me, but now I forget how it
works. Basically, unless you're NOTICEABLY slowing down, there is not
much reason for concern most of the time.

Mike