Clear the computer's memory?

Michael V. De Palatis mdepalatis at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Mar 29 23:41:13 UTC 2006

On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 12:16:18AM +0100, Daniel Carrera wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is there a way to clear the RAM? Say I run a lot of memory hogging
> applications like OpenOffice, GIMP and Firefox (yes, Firefox).

Yes, of course Firefox. Firefox is probably the WORST application used
on a day to day basis in terms of memory wastage. I've stopped using
it for that very reason.

> I'd like to clear up as much RAM memory as is safe.
> Is there a way to do this?

Quit the programs that are hogging memory? Honestly, I don't know of
any other legitimate way, since clearing memory from a running
application would inevitably cause nightmares.

Of course, I could also be completely misunderstanding the question.