Has Ubuntu Replaced Windows on Your Box?

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 19:44:38 UTC 2006

On 29/03/06, 'Forum Post <ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org> wrote:

> About a year ago i had enough of windows, I cleaned my computer, I don't
> do windows. I'm still a noob overall, and my home desktop is breezy
> only, my wife's and my laptops both are dapper. It has been quite a
> learning experience making the switch, as I am a massage therapist and
> psychology student, not a hacker -- yet.
>
> That brings up a quetion, I've been considering educating myself in
> some computer language or whatnot to start to give back to the open
> source community. what is the best place to start?
>
> gnuts

Semi-serious answer: I'm sure there are a lot of 'hackers' and
programmers out there that would appreciate a bit of therapy (to deal
with their computer addictions ;-) or a massage or two to alleviate
the strain from being hunched over a keyboard all day.

Fully serious answer: There's also room for tracking down bugs and
fixing configuration problems. I'm no programmer and don't have the
time to devote to learning a language with sufficient skill to make a
difference, but, I can track down the occasional problem and bring it
to the attention of the appropriate bug tracking facility, or provide
program feedback. It's immensely satisfying to see your feature
suggestions or bug reports make a difference.