Java compatibility? (was Re: Not a bash, just the facts)

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Wed Mar 29 15:47:59 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 29 March 2006 02:45, Glenn Holmer wrote:
> On Monday 27 March 2006 14:06, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > Not everyone is willing to upgrade right now to a 1.5 vm, it's
> > still newish and may have bugs. 1.4.2 is rather stable by now
>
> Huh? 1.5 was released on 09/29/2004.

"newish" is of course modified by viewpoint. My bank's eBanking site
runs on Java. For them, 18 months after release is still new. I too
have a hard time accepting this point of view, but I'm not a banker.
I understand the use of caution in conservative environments, but
only on an intellectual level - I've never had to deal with the
fall-out from a bug in an environment where the powers that be insist
that detectable and testable bugs MUST be caught and fixed before
deployment

--
Alan McKinnon
alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za