does fat32 preserve directory name case?

Duncan Lithgow duncan at lithgow-schmidt.dk
Wed Mar 29 14:24:13 UTC 2006

the following shows the problem:

duncan at ubuntu:~$ mkdir ABC
duncan at ubuntu:~$ mkdir XYZ
duncan at ubuntu:~$ cd ../../media/sda5
duncan at ubuntu:/media/sda5$ mkdir ABC
duncan at ubuntu:/media/sda5$ ls
110-maj britt      abc           mamas_walk.mpeg     System Volume
Information
120-faelles filer  autoexec.bat  msdos.sys           tmp-win
200-billeder       config.sys    nursery-rhymes.odt
210-video          duncan-win    shared settings
230-music          io.sys        software
duncan at ubuntu:/media/sda5$ mkdir Abc
mkdir: cannot create directory `Abc': File exists
duncan at ubuntu:/media/sda5$ mkdir abc
mkdir: cannot create directory `abc': File exists
duncan at ubuntu:/media/sda5$

mkdir in my home directory works fine, but as soon as I try to do the
same in my fat32 partition it fails. Is this normal?

Duncan