Dapper clock and locales

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Wed Mar 29 08:47:13 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-29 at 09:05 +0100, Keith Powell wrote:
> Thanks for your reply, Chanchao.
> Sorry, but the "clock preferences" only gives:
>
> 24hr
> UNIX time
> Internet time
>
> There's no 12hr setting.

I think he assumed you were using Breezy, but on Dapper, to my surprise,
I can confirm that indeed, the 12 hour option has gone !
I searched in Gconf to see if I could force it manually, but no luck.
There are 2 keys to control the format. One is labelled as "deprecated",
and the other, though it's description DOES list the 12 format as
valid.... refuses to use it ! If I set it to 12 hour, it just stays on
24H...

I am not sure that's a bug though, not entirely at least. For example,
the GDM log-in screen used to have an option to select the 12/24 hour
format at will, but it has disappeared now. At the time I filed a bug,
and got told that it's a feature, and that the format is set
automatically based on some setting you supply when installing Ubuntu.
Can't remember what exactly, Country, time zone, language, something in
that vein.
So maybe the clock applet now uses a similar mechanism.

--
Vince