/var/cache/aptarchives

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Wed Mar 29 05:29:52 UTC 2006

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 15:28:56 +0930
squareyes <squareyes at internode.on.net> wrote:

> Hi all,
> does /var/cache/apt/archives get emptied automatically.

In Ubuntu, it appears that by default it does get emptied regularly.

> I have been making copies of it to CD, went in to it this
> morning, only deb's I had installed in the last few days there.
> Everything else has dissappeared. Is this normal?
> many thanks in advance
> Take Care
> Winton

In Synaptic, look under "Settings - Preferences - Files " and click the
"Files" tab. You should see a series of choices including " Leave all
downloaded packages in the cache".

You can use the apt commands "apt-get clean" and "apt-get autoclean" to
delete unwanted cache files manually, once you set this option. I'm
guessing there's a CLI way to set this up, but I haven't really
searched for it, to be honest :)

"apt-get clean" is the more drastic of the two commands, removing
all .debs, whereas "apt-get autoclean" only removes those that are no
longer available.

HTH and all that...

Peter

--
"I dont know how to use my email."
"You need to upgrade your IQ a few points. Try listening to classical