Opera & Midnight Commander

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Wed Mar 29 05:10:32 UTC 2006

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 07:15:03 +0530
"Sridhar M.A." <mas at mylug.org> wrote:

>   > I agree that mc should be included by default. I don't use it all the
>    > time, but it is a very useful tool and can be quite beneficial to help
>    > users new to linux to get comfortable with the command line.
>    >
> For new users, I would suggest emelfm rather than mc. I am not sure
> whether it is packaged for ubuntu.

Yes , apt-cache policy shows it in the universe repository. Emelfm is a
GUI file manager though, so it doesn't have the same functionality as mc -
mc can be useful without X as well.

Emelfm is a good choice for low-resource machines though, as it is light
and starts fast even on old pentiums with limited memory ( I used it on a
Pentium 200 mmx with 64MB RAM, running 5.10 with fluxbox etc )

Peter

--
"I dont know how to use my email."
"You need to upgrade your IQ a few points. Try listening to classical